The following are necessary for the Holy Marriage ceremony:
- Rings for the bride and groom.
- Stefana (crowns).
- Two candles.
- Marriage license from the County – to be signed by the Priest on the wedding day.
Marriages are not performed on the following days:
- Epiphany, Great Lent, Saturday of Lazarus, Palm Sunday, Holy Week, Easter Sunday and Pentectost.
- From August 1-15.
- August 29 (Beheading of St. John the Forerunner).
- September 14 (Elevation of the Holy Cross).
- From December 13-25 (including Christmas Day).
The Best Man (Koumbaros/Koumbara):
- Must be an Orthodox Christian.
- Must be a pledging member of the church.
- If from another community, prior to the wedding he/she must present a letter from his/her parish Priest stating that he/she is a member in good standing.
- If married, his or her marriage must have been blessed in the Orthodox Church.
Divorced persons wanting to remarry:
- If the previous marriage was the result of a civil service, a civil divorce paper must be presented.
- If the previous marriage was blessed in the Orthodox Church, that marriage has to be officially dissolved by an Orthodox Church Court.
- The original document attesting to a Church Divorce must be presented at the time of application for a church marriage license.