Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox Cathedral was established in 1923. At that time, the Charlotte Greeks were served intermittently by itinerant priests who performed liturgies and sacraments in rented civic halls and in Saint Peter’s Episcopal Church. Based on the memories of older parishioners, the first church services were at a building at the corner of 5th and North Tryon, on the 2nd floor, in the Chamber of Commerce auditorium on W. 4th St., and in a building on East Trade Street. The first church owned by the community was Westminster Presbyterian on South Boulevard. Early baptisms were held in homes using a washtub decorated with crepe paper. The current location of the Cathedral at 600 East Boulevard, occupying an entire city block, was purchased with the down payment made by the Marathon Chapter #2 Order of AHEPA. The Cathedral was built in 1954 and the Hellenic Center completed in 1967.